Tag Archives: machine applique

Floral Reflections Update

Just a quick update of the progress of Floral Reflections...

All of the purple applique pieces are now stitched.

Floral Reflections

Floral Reflections

Floral Reflections

On to the yellow pieces, and then the applique will be finished!

Quilt On!

Floral Reflections

I decided to work on an old UFO.  I mentioned Floral Reflections when I created my Focus List and shared the project in this post.

I shared that I must have started this project sometime in the 90’s, and that all twelve blocks had been fused and then set aside.

The next step is to machine applique the blocks, and that is what I am working on.  I have begun by using Sulky rayon threads and a small zig-zag stitch on the leaves and stems of the flowers.

Floral Reflections

The quilt inspector is trying hard to stay awake, but she is bored with this project.

Floral Reflections

A few close ups of my not so tidy stitching:

Floral Reflections

Floral Reflections

Floral Reflections

When I finish the leaves and stems, I will move on to the berries and flowers.

Floral Reflections

Quilt on!

Vintage Ornaments

Rather than work on UFO’s, or current projects, I have started a new project. 

I know…there are some of you who finish a project before beginning a new one, but I am not you (sometimes I wish I were)!

Back in 2017, I came across the Vintage Ornaments Quilt by Cherry Guidry.  For one reason, or another, I didn’t do the quilt along, but I had saved the information.  The desire to make this quilt never left, so I decided it is now or never.  One simply has to make the time to do whatever it is that one wants to do, or it won’t get done.

Making the blocks has been an easy and enjoyable experience.  Squaring them up will be my next task.

Vintage Ornaments

I machine appliqued with a small buttonhole stitch using Wonderfil’s shiny rayon and metallic threads.

Vintage Ornaments

I may have used Superior’s Bottom Line in the bobbin, but I am not positive.  I used a bobbin that had been wound for a long time, and it wasn’t with the spool that I had wound it with.  Whatever it was, it worked well.

August OMG 2017 Goal Update

The number 8 was drawn by Patchwork Times, as the monthly goal for August.

My number 8 goal was to do something with some machine applique floral sample blocks.

I squared the blocks to 12-1/2″.

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

Triangles were added to set the blocks on point.

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

After squaring and setting the blocks on point, I decided to turn them into autumn placemats.

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

I kept the quilting simple; straight lines, echo, and meandering (I’m not making Van Gogh or Picasso art pieces after all). Here’s a look at the back:

One Monthly Goal - Floral Blocks

I’ll be gifting these placemats…it feels good to have turned the blocks into something useful!

I am linking up with OMG at Elm Street Quilts.  Take some time to see what other folks have finished for the month!

I am also linking up with Patchwork Times .