Tag Archives: fabric portrait

The Widow’s Mite – Part 8

It has been a busy summer, but I have made time to work on The Widow’s Mite.  My original thought was to keep quilting minimal.

So much for my original thought.

I know the angle isn’t great for these photos.  I’ll post better photos when she is finished.  Almost there.

Part 1 can be found here.
Part 2 can be found here.
Part 3 can be found here.
Part 4 can be found here.
Part 5 can be found here.
Part 6 can be found here.
Part 7 can be found here.

The Widow’s Mite – Part 7

Details are being added with thread painting.

Part 1 can be found here.
Part 2 can be found here.
Part 3 can be found here.
Part 4 can be found here.
Part 5 can be found here.
Part 6 can be found here.

 

This and That – Kitchen and Widow’s Mite Update

Kitchen project update:

Remember that?:

Now it is this:

Remember that?:

Now it is this:

Fresh paint and new hardware.  Check!

Hubby is finishing up the glass cabinet doors, and then on to that floor!

The Widow’s Mite project update:

Applique pieces are being secured with free-motion zig-zag.

When the zig-zagging gets done, then I’ll stitch in some details with thread painting.

Update on the Weeding project:

Not so much.

What’s your progress?

The Widow’s Mite – Part 6

For those of you following the Widow’s progress:

A closer look:

Now the fun of choosing threads:

I like to use Mettler 60 weight cotton embroidery thread.  It is a fine blending thread.  Besides using this thread for fabric portraits, I use it on applique when I am using a satin stitch that I don’t want to shine, or to stand out too much.  It covers beautifully.  I don’t carry this in my shop, but I’m beginning to think that I should.  It is hard to find…at least in my sphere.

Anyone else use Mettler 60 weight cotton embroidery thread?  If you do, I’d love you to leave a comment sharing how you use it.

Part 1 can be found here.
Part 2 can be found here.
Part 3 can be found here.
Part 4 can be found here.
Part 5 can be found here.

 

Widow’s Mite – Part 5

For those of you following the progress of The Widow, I haven’t forgotten. 

Spring is here, and that means that I have less time to spend sewing, blogging, etc., because time is needed out in the gardens. 

Not to mention that I want to paint a couple of rooms around here.

But we are all busy.  So, without further excuse, here’s a photo of The Widow’s progress. 

I found a background fabric that I really like!

Part 1 can be found here.
Part 2 can be found here.
Part 3 can be found here.
Part 4 can be found here.

 

Widow’s Mite – Part 4

I haven’t been able to go fabric shopping for background fabric; I hope to do that this weekend.  Meantime, the widow did acquire some hair.

I took a photo in grayscale just for fun.  What a pleasant surprise to see that I have a nice variety of values!  Value, along with design and technique, is vital to a successful quilt.

For the curious, The Widow’s Mite will be approximately 24″ x 36″.   Her size is determined by the space that she will be hanging in.

For fabulous fabric portraits, go to the extremely talented art quilter, Marilyn Belford.  You can see her gallery of award winning quilts here.  I promise you, you will be impressed with Marilyn’s body of work!  She teaches her techniques for realistic portraits, as well as other art quilt classes, at Quilt University.

Part 1 can be found here.
Part 2 can be found here.
Part 3 can be found here.

 

The Widow’s Mite – Part 3

Progressing…

Slowly…

But surely.

It is time to decide on a fabric for behind the widow.

Part 1 can be found here.
Part 2 can be found here.
 

Meantime, I’ll be taking Orca Bay to a long-arm quilter this morning.  It is the first time that I will have a project quilted by someone other than myself.  I am both nervous and excited!