I have procrastinated so much, simply because I just could not come to a decision on how to quilt this quilt!
To recap: I first posted about this quilt in December 2021. Way back, when my little girl really was a little girl, she wanted to make a patriotic quilt. Together, we designed and chose the fabrics, and then she cut and pieced. And then it sat for a very long time. A lot of life happened.
My not so little girl finished the applique in early 2021 (Or was it 2020?) and sent the quilt to me. I was supposed to quilt it.
We haven’t been in any hurry up to this point, so why hurry now?
I finally got around to pin basting by December 2021.
My goal in February 2022 was to get the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting done.
By the end of March 2022, I had finished the SITD quilting.
In January 2023, I made up my mind to get this thing done!
By January 16, I had a plan for some of the blocks and set to work making stencils and machine quilting the pieced blocks.
More life, and more procrastination (Are you getting a theme here?).
What to do with the appliqued blocks?
I am happy to say that I came up with a plan and I have my part finished!
I find it difficult to photograph black thread on black fabric.
But I think I took enough photos so that you get the general idea.
I had to work out some tension issues.
Disaster struck when I washed out my chalk marks.
My daughter and I are pretty sure that back in the day, we washed all of these fabrics before using them.
But, doggone, if a red and the black didn’t bleed profusely and turn most of the light areas a plum color!
I have managed to get most of that bleeding out. What’s left doesn’t really look all that bad.
My daughter has a tub that she can soak it in, so she can circulate Dawn soap and water around much better than I can with my washing machine. She will try to rinse the rest of the bleeding color out.
I think it is okay if she can’t.
The quilt needs to be bound, and Jessica will do that.
The quilt will live with her.